Govorimo СрпскИ/Hrvatski/Bosanski and Hablamos Español
Bicycle Crash Injuries
Your Florida Bicycle Injury Attorneys
With our beautiful weather in Florida all year long, many residents and visitors use bicycles as a mode of transportation, recreation, and fitness activities. Cyclists do not always ride their bikes on the sidewalk, but sometimes use the designated bike line that is marked on busy roads with moving vehicular traffic. With a vast amount of people riding bikes, and riding them on busy roads with larger vehicles, bicycle accidents are bound to happen. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Florida is the most dangerous state for cyclists. By Florida law, cars must allow 3 feet of space when passing a bicycle, however many drivers are unaware or fail to obey this law which leads to serious and sometimes deadly accidents. If you or someone you know has been injured as a result of a bicycle accident, call your experienced personal injury attorneys at Borkovic Law Group for a free consultation at (727)-798-5291.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
When compared to auto accidents statistics, a car versus car accident is much more likely to happen than a bicycle versus car accident, however, that does not mean that cyclists are free of accident risk. According to the Center of Disease Control and Prevention, in 2015 in the United States, over 1,000 bicyclists died and there were almost 467,000 bicycle-related injuries. Several causes contribute to these bicycle accidents such as:
- Failure to yield the way for cyclists
- Distracted drivers; failing to see cyclists
- Careless or reckless drivers
- Driving under the influence
- Failing to use turn signals
- Failing to keep enough space
- Running red lights or stop signs
- Failing to look both ways before turning or crossing an intersection
Common Injuries Sustained in Bicycle Accidents
A victim of a bicycle accident can sustain serious life-altering injuries and these kinds of accidents can even lead to death in the worst case scenario. Common injuries suffered from a bicycle accident include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Neck/head injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
What to Do After a Bicycle Accident
- Call 911. If you are severely injured try not to move, call out for help, and wait for paramedics to arrive. Make sure police officers conduct a detailed report of the incident.
- Gather as much information as you can, if at all possible. Get down contact and insurance information from the driver that hit you. Speak to any witnesses if any were present and get down their contact information.
- Preserve evidence. Take photos and videos of the accident scene and your injuries. Make sure you preserve your bicycle and/or helmet – do not repair the bicycle.
- Seek medical attention immediately. If severely injured, go to the hospital by ambulance. Otherwise seek emergency medical care as soon as possible.
Call your attorney as soon as possible. Make sure you do not talk to any insurance companies and call your attorneys at Borkovic Law Group for additional legal steps on how to proceed. As always, our initial consultation is free and we would be happy to represent you if the case permits. We can be reached at (727)798-5291.
Looking for a best real estate deals?