Tampa Bay and Miami Boat Accident Lawyer
Florida Boat Accident Attorneys
Florida is known for spending time out on the water and enjoying beautiful sunny days out on a boat. However, with so many vessels in the water, there are bound to be accidents, and innocent people could be seriously injured as a result. At Borkovic Law Group, our team is committed to helping victims get compensation for boating related injuries. Contact our Tampa Bay and Miami boat accident lawyer at (727) 798-5291 today for more information.
Types of Boat Accidents
The following are common types of boating accidents where serious injuries could be sustained:
- A boat collides with another boat or crashes into a dock. As a result from the collision, a person could be tossed around the boat or thrown overboard.
- Wake accidents. A boat that follows another boat too closely could hit its wake and be upended.
- A boat might sink due to a boating defect.
- Faulty wiring on a boat can lead to fires, which can cause burns or force people to jump in the water to escape.
Many causes could be responsible for these type of boating accidents, such as:
- Negligent or inexperienced operation of the boat
- Distracted vessel operator such as texting while operating a vessel
- Failing to follow boat regulations
- Speeding or reckless boating
- Operating a boat while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Taking the boat out in poor weather or at night time
- Inadequate life vests or other safety equipment
- Poor boat maintenance such as boat lights not working
Possible Defendants in a Boat Accident
In order to pursue a personal injury claim after a boating accident, you must be able to prove that the accident was caused by someone else’s negligence (such as a cause listed above). The purpose of pursuing a civil action is to place blame on someone else for your injuries. Under Florida law, the individual at fault for your injuries must compensate you for the losses you sustained such as your medical care expenses, pain and suffering, and lost income. Depending on the accident as each case is different, the following are potential defendants we may pursue a lawsuit against for your injuries:
- The boat operator. The person operating the vessel could have been negligent such as not having a proper lookout or being distracted.
- The boat owner, even if the owner might not be the operator at the time of the collision. However, the owner could have been negligent in getting the boat repaired or safely maintained. A liability limitation or exoneration of liability to the boat owner may be applicable.
- A passenger. Someone riding in the boat could have been to blame for the collision, such as causing a fight or distracting the boat operator.
- The boat manufacturer. A defect in the design or manufacture of the boat could have led to its malfunctioning.
Contact Your Tampa Bay Boat Accident Lawyer Today
Being involved in a boating accident can be a traumatic experience and serious injuries or even death can result from these types of incidents. You do need to go through these consequences alone. Reach out to our firm for compassionate and committed representation of your personal injury case. Contact us today at Borkovic Law Group by calling (727)798-5291 for a free consultation.
Leave a Reply